I like to have a jar of something sweet ready in my cupboard to treat any visitors that drop by, or more often than not to give to my girls after a long day at school or during an outing to the park. Jam Drops are such a classic and I don’t think anyone ever says no to one. Suffice to say that these never last too long in my house.
Classic Jam Drops Recipe
250g unsalted butter
165g (¾ cup) caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
335g (2 ¼ cups) plain flour
½ cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 160C and line your cookie baking tray with baking paper
- Beat your butter, vanilla and sugar until pale and creamy. Add your egg yolk and continue beating until combined.
- Add the flour and beat until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or pop in your freezer until firm if you are in a rush)
- Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and place on your tray.
- To avoid cracks in your cookies work quickly before the dough dries out, flatten it slightly and use your thumb or the back of a teaspoon to make a small dent in the centre of each cookie.
- Fill each dent with a ½ teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Hot Tip: Wait for them to cool down slightly before transferring to a wire rack. And don’t eat them too hot, jam burns!
How long since you had a jam drop?
Do you always have a sweet treat in your cupboard?