Tuna Mornay with Crunchy Chip Gratin and Pea & Almond Pesto
This recipe is simple, cheap and more importantly everyone at the table will love it. It took me about 40 minutes to prepare and there is enough to feed about 4 people I think. Or if like me 2 adults, 2 little kids and leftovers for lunch tomorrow. This Tuna Mornay with Crunchy Chip Gratin and Pea and Almond Pesto is amazing. Pin it, share it, favourite it right now because you will cook this over and over again. It has just the right balance of sweet and salty, soft and crunchy. You can also make easy variations on this to suit yourself. You may want to leave out the bacon, or make your pesto more tart by adding some lemon rind. You might not have any chips in the cupboard and use breadcrumbs instead, or maybe just mix the peas in with the corn. Let me know what variations you tried.
- 200g Pasta
- 1 Can Corn Kernals
- 425g Can of Tuna
- 80g Grated Cheese
- 2 tbs Lemon Juice
- 40g Butter
- 40g Plain Flour
- 750ml Milk
- 60g crushed potato chips
- ½ cup (40g) Parmesan Cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Fried Shallots
- 2 middle bacon rashers diced
- 1 ½ cups peas
- 45g blanched almonds
- 20g Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Olive Oil as needed
1. Cook and drain the pasta
2. Make basic white bechamel sauce with butter, flour and milk
3. Fry shallots (unless you buy them ready made), and bacon
4. Combine pasta, corn, cheese, lemon juice and tuna. Pour white sauce over the top.
5. Combine chips, parmesan, shallots and bacon and sprinkle on top
6. Bake for 20minutes on 160C fan forced, until golden on top.
7. To make the pesto – Cook your peas. Toast your almonds. Blend peas, almonds, parmesan and oil until smooth.
8. Serve tuna mornay topped with a dollop of pesto and watch them lick their plates clean.Love it. Follow me. . .