Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
1. Make your lemon curd, cupcakes and meringue following the instructions below.
2. Use a small sharp knife to cut a 3cm hole in the top of your cupcakes. Reserve the pieces you have removed.
3. Use a piping bag to pipe lemon curd in the cupcake holes. Replace the cut-out cupcake pieces.
4. Preheat the grill.
5. Spoon the meringue on top of the cupcakes and use a pallet knife to either smooth the surface or create points or waves.
6. Put 6 cupcakes on a flat baking tray and place under the grill for 30 seconds or until starting to turn golden. Turn the tray and repeat for 30 seconds. Watch closely! Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Allow to cool before serving.
- 225g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 165g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
- 60ml milk
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1. Preheat oven to 160C and line 12 standard cupcake holes with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar, butter, milk, eggs and lemon zest. Beat on a low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2-3 minutes until mixture is smooth and pale in colour. Divide mixture evenly among cupcake holes and smooth top with the back of a spoon.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted in centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
The Lemon Curd
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated, 60ml juice strained
- 65g unsalted butter, diced
1. Put egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a medium heatproof bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Add the butter and place over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure base does not touch the water. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until thick.
3. Remove from the heat. Strain through a course sieve into a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (approx 1 hour).
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
1. Put the egg whites into a large clean, dry bowl and beat with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Continue beating, gradually adding the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until thick and glossy.
Tip: Put your piping bag over a cup before spooning in the mixture. This makes sure all of the mixture gets to the bottom of the bag without all the mess and gives you two hands to hold your bowl and spoon.
Enjoy! 🙂Love it. Follow me. . .