A favourite snack in my household at the moment is peanut butter spread on apple and sprinkled with a variety of delicious bits and bobs. I was getting bored of making this though so I decided to mix it up a bit and get a bit more goodness in there. This is where I introduced peanut butter bars. Not overly sweet but these can still pass as a treat and are satisfyingly filling. Better still – no bake! These are quick and easy to whip together as a last minute snack. Those of you with magic powders (kids veggie powders, protein powders etc) can easily hide these away in this.
Peanut Butter Bars
1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup rice bubbles (or puffed quinoa)
½ cup peanut butter (or any nut or seed butter)
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
½ tablespoon coconut oil
- Blend your rolled oats into a flour.
- Mix your oats, rice bubbles, peanut butter, syrup and vanilla together into a thick paste.
- Spread your mixture into a lined pan and pat down smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Pop in the fridge or freezer to set.
- Cut your set mixture into bars.
- Melt your chocolate and coconut oil and drizzle over the top of your bars. This is the funnest part!
- Once your chocolate is set (you can put it in your fridge to speed this process up) re-cut your bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
These are morishly good with a slightly gooey texture but with a bit of crunch from the rice bubbles. They are a bit sweet, a bit salty. A bit good a bit bad. They really are the best of both worlds, just try them for yourself and see.
Do you love Peanut Butter?