Lunch is often a hastily grabbed bite of something in the middle of the day for most of us. During summer I love to have a big bowl of salad to crunch on. In Winter, I crave a hot cup of soup. Not only is it warming on a chilly day but I can pack it full of veggies too. It stores easy in the fridge and is quick to reheat as needed. I can have a lazy bowl at home with some of my parmesan and black pepper biscotti heated up on the side or I can take it with me to have on the run.
This Spicy Tomato Soup recipe is just the right balance of sweet and spicy for me. And that colour! That colour would make anyone happy!
Spicy Tomato Soup
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
500g ripe tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium cooked beetroots, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
750ml chicken stock
1/3 cup red split lentils
1 red chilli, finely sliced
Salt & Pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions, garlic and celery until softened.
- Add your tomatoes, beetroot and tomato paste and season with S&P. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your stock and lentils and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Add your sliced chilli, then pour into a blender and process until smooth.
- Sieve back into your saucepan to be sure you have a nice smooth consistency.
- Garnish with basil leaves and sliced chilli. You could even stir in some natural yoghurt or crème fraiche just before serving.
Do you love a hot cup of soup in Winter?
How about a little bit of chilli to keep those sniffles away?