As the weather cools down we all turn to warm hearty dinners – soups, casseroles, and slow cooked goodness. With most of these we would love to have a slice of toast, maybe a chunk of sourdough or some croutons to soak up the final drips of deliciousness in the bottom of your bowl. I decided to make a big batch of savoury biscotti to have on hand for exactly these dinners. A basic Parmesan & Black Pepper Biscotti is great to dunk in soups or really, just serve it with a generous glass of red wine and sit back and enjoy.
1 ½ tablespoons whole black peppercorns, ground
4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 ¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
170g unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, 2 cups of the cheese, and 1 tablespoon of the pepper in a large bowl.
- Blend in the chopped butter until mixture is like course meal.
- Whisk 3 eggs with milk and add to the flour mixture, stirring until you form a soft dough.
- Quarter the dough mixture and form each into a log about 30cm long.
- Put logs on baking sheets about 8cm apart and flatten slightly
- Whisk the remaining egg and brush over the logs, then sprinkle the top with remaining cheese and pepper.
- Bake your logs for about 30 minutes, rotating your sheets until golden and firm.
- Remove the logs from the oven and reduce temperature to 150C. Cool the logs on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the logs into ½ inch thick slices, on the diagonal, using a serrated bread knife.
- Arrange your slices onto your baking sheets and bake for a further 35-45 minutes, turning them over once.
- Enjoy warm from the oven. To store, cool on wire racks and either freeze or use an air tight container.
Savoury Biscotti is really handy to have on hand. If you don’t like Parmesan and Pepper you could add in a cup of toasted and chopped nuts instead – pistachios, almonds, pine nuts, whatever you have on hand.
Do you love Savoury Biscotti?
Are you looking forward to winter dinners?