This apple walnut cake is everything you want it to be, moist, nutty and filling. I think it is best served warm and a nice dollop of natural yoghurt would go very well with this. I have made something similar, this Spiced Apple Cake but this one is a little different. With out any further nonsense, here is my apple walnut cake recipe which is actually pretty healthy.
Canola Oil Spray
250g (1 2/3 cups) wholemeal self raising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
55g (½ cup) almond meal
55g (¼ cup) caster sugar
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
60g (½ cup) walnuts, chopped
125ml (½ cup) milk
10ml (2 teaspoons) apple cider vinegar
140g (½ cup) unsweetened apple puree
2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spray 23cm (9inch) round cake tin with oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine your milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes. You could use buttermilk in place of this but I often find this hard to source and I never use the whole lot so end up wasting it.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, almond meal and sugar into a large bowl, return husks to the bowl. Stir in the diced apple and walnuts.
- Whisk eggs, milk mixture, apple puree and oil in a bowl. Add to the flour mixture. Stir until combined and smooth. Spoon into your prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a metal skewer. Leave in the tin to cool for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
You can freeze this cake (up to a month) or keep it refrigerated (up to 1 week).
Love it. Follow me. . .