It is no secret that I love to make popcorn and while it can be a healthy snack, it isn’t always, especially when you do this to it …
This is an addictive balance of sweet and salty, caramel and chocolate, nuttiness and creamy goodness, crunch and gooey mess. Oh help me, it is just too good to keep to myself.
The Kukukachu Popcorn
While my husband and I unashamedly sat on the lounge together eating handful after handful of this, we mused on all sorts of inappropriate names for this golden creation. As I started typing up the recipe I thought CAramel-CAshew-Crunch-CHOcolate and wasn’t quite happy with CaCaChoo but it made me think of crazy, in a good way. Thanks to the Beatles, and of course Simon & Garfunkel, Kukukachu has become a slang way to assure the state of things is entirely fine; an expression of reassuring goodness. It is all very chilled in a stoned, addictive kind of way. Which is exactly what this popcorn is.
So whether you grab your box of tissues and a good movie, hide in the pantry from the kids, or opt for a big bowl and a bunch of friends, this popcorn is crazy good! But don’t say you haven’t been warned of its addictive lure.
1/3 cup corn kernels
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup salted cashews
¼ cup white chocolate bits
¼ cup dark chocolate bits
- Preheat the oven to 120C
- Make your popcorn, I prefer to air pop mine but do whatever works for you.
- While it is popping away, bring your butter and sugar to the boil on the stovetop and let sit for 3 minutes without stirring it. Remove it from the heat and add your vanilla and baking soda, stirring to combine. Watch out – it’s hot stuff!
- Pour your caramel mixture over your popcorn and stir to coat evenly before spreading your popcorn over a lined baking tray. Put this in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Set your caramel popcorn aside to cool slightly while you lightly crush your cashews.
- Sprinkle your nuts and chocolate bits over the popcorn letting the last of the residual heat melt the choc bits just enough to stick everything together.
You might also like my Balsamic Caramel Apple Popcorn, though it is highly debatable hubby says Kukukachu is better.
Keep your eye out for more Popcorn flavours coming soon!!
What do you think of the name Kukukachu Popcorn?
Do you love playing with popcorn flavourings?